“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all of the sins you have never had the courage to commit.”
– Oscar Wilde
“Seven deadly sins
Seven ways to win
Seven holy paths to hell
And your trip begins
Seven downward slopes
Seven bloodied hopes
Seven are your burning fires
Seven your desires”
– Iron Maiden (Smith/Dickinson) from Moonchild
You can see the world forcing you into submission when you no longer have the choice of engaging in the Seven Deadly Sins, such as when:
1. Pride is stripped when young gang bangers seeking to intimidate everyone on the streets, don’t even notice you.
2. Greed is pointless – the hustle is over – when current bad asses shake your hand in the “old fashioned” way.
3. Lust is grounded when you can’t even strut anymore because your feet hurt too much
4. Envy is given up as you’re resigned to the shock in young faces that you are indeed still aware of popular music.
5. Wrath is too tiresome when the anger that used to get you through a job now causes you to get choked up and introspective.
6. Sloth is no longer a choice but a way of life as injury-recovery, injury-recovery turns into every new tweak becoming a permanent condition.
7. Gluttony is a terror when you get acid reflux every time you bend over.
May we embrace our age with dignity, understanding when we have to learn new ways of playing the game.